The Ideal Career for Single Mature Women
Post a Job or Resume Now!

Mona's Blog

Worker’s Comp is for You, too

For those of you who are working as House Directors, or have read my book, you know how important it is to take extra care making sure that your staff do things properly to avoid accidents. But should something happen, the alert House Director takes care of the situation immediately. Not only does your sorority carry insurance, but Worker’s Compensation will cover some of the costs as well.

This is also true when it comes to you. Sometimes things happen. Just because you’re the boss doesn’t mean you should forego care. This is not going to be charged to you or the house. By law, you’re covered as an employee by Worker’s Comp and State Disability.

Once in awhile we’ve heard of houses putting a clause into a director’s contract that she will be fired if she becomes ill or is injured. That’s illegal. It’s also illegal if you’re fired because you got hurt on the job.

If an accident happens, you take the papers with you to get checked out — Worker’s Comp will pay for that exam. If you need some rehabilitation, that’s what state disability insurance is for. You should not be asked to pay for expenses out of your pocket. Nor should you go home to recover during the term without being examined first. It needs to be officially documented.

Should you ever find your job threatened because of an injury, you don’t have to go to a lawyer and pay for him/her to investigate. The State Department of Labor has courts where you appear before a judge to explain your case. The state agencies governing the rights of workers will take care of that for you.

Believe me, it’s rare that something bad happens. But if it does, you’re protected.

Comments are closed.